Academic Planning

At some of the international schools ACA students will not have an extensive listing of courses from which to choose. Much of the choice available will be determined by results on a Language Placement Examination given at the international school just prior to registration in the Summer or Fall Term. However, prospective ACA students should consider different ways in which the year abroad can coordinate with the current year and the year(s) upon return. The following questions should serve as a guide in this planning:

  • Which courses will duplicate credit already earned?
  • Which courses will or will not meet the general studies requirements at the home campus?
  • Which of the courses that will meet specific home campus requirements do so with qualifications?
  • Which general studies requirements might better be taken abroad than at home? (Students may want non-language electives while abroad.)
  • Which courses will be applicable to students’ majors or minors?
  • What is the maximum number of credit hours students may earn each term?

It is compulsory for all ACA students to enroll in a minimum of 12 quarter/semester credits; maximum load is 18 hours (or 20 hours with the authorization of the Home campus Registrar). However, the ACA Consortium policy does not allow the students to take more than 20 credit hours per quarter.

All guided field trips, including tours, are a required part of the instructional program. Students must participate in these field trips and tours. They are not optional.  No refunds will be given if students for any reason are not able to participate.

The home campus registrar’s office and the language department chair will be the best sources in answering most of these questions. Home campus departments of modern languages and students’ major departments (if they are not a language major) can also be of assistance. Neither ACA nor the overseas schools can act as advisors for home campus majors and minors.

The college from which ACA students will ultimately receive their degree has the right to determine how a given course satisfies a specific degree requirement. Neither the ACA office nor any individual in the international school can indicate with certainty how a given course will apply. Where any question exists, ACA students should obtain a definitive answer in writing from the registrar of their home university.